Golden CO history starts with gold and coal deposits. Early Golden real estate was rustic, but today it is anything but that. Golden CO has become a wonderfully, well-managed city. Golden, Colorado was originally called Golden City.
Gold was discovered in Clear Creek in 1859. Miners eventually followed the gold upstream to Central City and the Idaho Springs area. Coal was also a mainstay of the economy at the time, deposits being on the outskirts of the town.
Golden became a town that supported the mining efforts by becoming the commercial and agricultural center. At its height, there were as many as 5 smelters and 4 flour mills, as well as brick factories and a paper mill operating successfully in Golden.
Golden was the Territorial Capitol during the 1860s before turning the title over to the City of Denver. The original building where the legislature met is still standing at Washington and 12th.
The Golden Transcript, the local newspaper, was established by George West in 1866. It still brings news to local residents today. Golden CO history continues today.
The Coors Brewery is a long-time Golden institution. Adolph Coors first began brewing his famous beer in 1873. It is the largest employer in the community.
Golden CO history also includes George Pullman who first manufactured Pullman cars for the railroad. You can see some of his work at the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden as well.
No Golden CO history would be complete without mentioning that Buffalo Bill Cody is buried on Lookout Mountain. There is an entire museum devoted to his life and career. It is extremely well done and interesting. And, his grave has one of the most spectacular views of any grave around. It overlooks the Great Plains and the Rocky Mountains. Buffalo Bill asked to be buried here.
South Table Mountain has always been a favorite spot for hikers. In the early 1900s, the Golden Goose (trolley) brought tourists to the area. Tourists then hiked or rode a mule up to the top of the mountain.
Colorado School of Mines was established in 1870. George M. Randall opened the Jarvis Hall Collegiate School and it was run by the Episcopal Church. It has been a state school since 1876. As its name suggests, it is a school dedicated to furthering the mining industry, turning out engineers, chemists, and geologists.
For more information about Golden Colorado Real Estate or homes for sale along the Front Range, call Marilyn Van Steenberg, Dream Home Consultant, Certified Residential Specialist and Eco-Broker.
Specializing in Buyer Representation & Relocation Real Estate Transactions.