Evergreen CO history is quite interesting Early Evergreen Colorado real estate was part of the Ute and Arapahoe treaty before the 1859 gold rush began. French fur traders and lumberjacks were the first white settlers to come into the area.
The vast forests provided lumber for mining, building, warmth and cooking. Very little attention was given to how or where the trees were cut. The earliest wooden structure in the area was a bunkhouse for the lumberjacks, built in 1860. The expanded bunkhouse is the oldest building of continuous use in the area.
Evergreen was aptly named by Dwight Wilmot in 1875. He had been a school teacher at the Rockland School in the Lookout Mountain/Genesee area. The original settlement is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is a must if you are interested in Evergreen CO history.
As early as the 1870s, Evergreen CO history began with acquiring a reputation as a summer resort, although, the accommodations were rustic. Tourists could choose between the Babcock Hotel and Tavern on the west side of Bear Creek, or cabins that were a part of the original bunkhouse that had been expanded in 1873. A fairly reliable stagecoach line ran between Morrison and Evergreen for summer visitors. Today, Evergreen CO history is alive and well as it still hosts many visitors.
Mary Neosho Williams, a Civil War widow, and her daughter, Dr. Jo, acquired land in the area with a log structure already on the property. She hired master carpenter, Jock Spence, to expand the structure for visits from her extended family. Dr. Jo married Canon Charles Douglas, an Episcopal priest, in 1896 and more buildings were added. From 1898 until 1996, this homestead was used for a church retreat and eventually became the Evergreen Church Music Conference. There are still many residents that are descended from the original pioneering families. They are a part of Evergreen CO history.
The historic Evergreen area encompassed seven-acres with 23 historic buildings when it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
The first public library was established in 1917 by Julia Douglas, sister of Canon Douglas, who had retired to the area. Jock Spence constructed a stone building for the library in 1921. There were 4,000 titles in the library by 1923.
Troutdale in the Pines was built in 1920 by Harry Sidles. The resort included a golf course on 17 acres. No longer a resort, the homes now standing in Troutdale are large and luxurious.
Evergreen Lake was designed for recreational purposes. Boating, fishing and ice skating on the lake brought additional tourists to the area. The original sod-roofed log house as built by the Civil Conservation Corps between 1932 and 1933. The first Evergreen Ice Carnival was organized in 1939. Evergreen Lake is part of the Denver Mountain Parks system.
Throughout the years, Evergreen has been plagued by floods, one in 1896 that washed out nine of the seven bridges crossing Bear Creek and fire. In 1926, seven businesses and four homes were destroyed. Most of the buildings were re-built by 1927.
Evergreen with its rich history, beautiful surroundings, cooler summer temperatures and friendly faces it a wonderful place to choose to live. Make sure that one of your historical sites is at The Barn at Evergreen Memorial Park to learn more about Evergreen CO history. It sits on a 100-acre lot that is used as an animal preserve. There are a number of artifacts of the old West.
For more information about Evergreen Colorado Real Estate or homes for sale along the Front Range, call Marilyn Van Steenberg, Dream Home Consultant, Certified Residential Specialist and Eco-Broker.
Specializing in Buyer Representation & Relocation Real Estate Transactions.