Cherry Hills Village Colorado History
Cherry Hills Village Colorado history began in 1938. Homes in Cherry Hills Village were first built in the subdivision called Country Homes. This is to the south and west of the intersection of University and Hampden. These were large, luxury homes. Many well-known Denver families lived here.
On the east side of the intersection were other mansions belonging to Temple Buell, the architect, and Albert Brooks.
St. Mary’s Academy is a large part of Cherry Hills Village Colorado history. St. Mary’s Academy, originally was the Hickerson mansion. St. Mary’s Academy opened its doors to 20 students in 1864. St. Mary’s granted the first high school diploma while Colorado was still a territory.
The unsinkable Molly Brown was a neighbor of the school when it moved to 14th and Pennsylvania.
In 1951 St. Mary’s moved to its current location at 4545 S. University Blvd.
The farm of Caldwell Martin, horse breeder, was along Little Dry Creek and Clarkson St.
Cherry Hills Country Club, just to the south of Country Homes was beginning to grow as membership increased after the depression.
Children in the area went to the Cherry Hills School.
As the area grew, developers began to eye the area for commercial businesses. In 1938, to combat this commercialization, the Cherry Hills Improvement Association was formed in 1938. The purpose was to protect the land and homeowners.
During World War II, the construction of homes and development stopped due to a shortage of materials as well as gasoline rationing. These homes were a fair distance from any commercial establishments at the time. Mothers carpooled to and from schools. Vegetable gardens were plentiful as well as poultry and meat producing animals.
George Cranmer, manager of Parks and Improvement for the City of Denver, decided that the area of Cherry Hills was the perfect place for an airport for cargo, freight, and small planes. After many meeting, much pouring over laws and conversation, the answer to preventing the airport, was to become incorporated.
The newly incorporated town was divided into six districts with a trustee from each area to represent the homeowner at town meetings.
One of the first ordinances passed by the town was in regard to the height that planes could fly over the town. However, the need for such a law never materialized. Cherry Hills Village Colorado History shows that homeowners were very concerned about their homes and property.
In the 1960s, with annexation by Denver looming on the horizon, Cherry Hills Village annexed the areas to the north and east including Cherry Hills East, Southmoor Vista, North Charlou and Mansfield Heights. This added almost 600 residents to the town.
The town has managed throughout the years to maintain the lifestyle the original residents intended for the area to have.
For more information about Cherry Hills Village Colorado Real Estate or homes for sale along the Front Range, call Marilyn Van Steenberg, Dream Home Consultant, Certified Residential Specialist and Eco-Broker.
Specializing in Buyer Representation & Relocation Real Estate Transactions.